f
s

Level 59 and beyond confusion from a new-ish player (cont.)

• Level 59 and beyond confusion from a new-ish player (cont.)

I'm moving some conversation from a thread I unintentionally hijacked, to it's own. There's been some good conversation and advice, for issues that I've been having problems with. There's a lot of confusing guides and information, both here and on other sites.

I ran into a lot of confusing issues, when I got to level 59, found my Upgrade button greyed out and couldn't figure out what I needed to do to level. I started to scour Google and these forums and found a lot of 2016/early-2017 posts full of out-dated information, or information based on Chinese client.

I'm new-ish to RO, but not new to MMOGs. I'll post a bit more about myself, but for right now, I want to re-copy some quotes to this thread, so we can continue the conversation without worrying about hijacking someone else's thread.

Lyosha wrote:

Also I would recommend joining a casual guild (depends on what server you are on) early on as they can help you with questions and learning the game. This game has a steep learning curve (it rushes you to level before you learn much at the level you are at) and doesn't do very well in explaining things. Guilds are great knowledge sources! If you want to switch to a more PvP focused or different guild in general later there is only an 6 hr wait period (do it before you go to bed and you can switch when you wake up).

Sekkerhund wrote:

Wish I'd known this a few weeks ago, because I'd have done things differently. "Steep learning curve" is understating it. The game is poorly translated in English, so hard to understand and a lot of the information and guides that you can google, are either old from CBT or based on Chinese experiences and not relevant to our version.

I'm currently stalled on my main at level 59, while I try to understand why (or if) I am undergeared (as compared to others my level that I've inspected) and how I can fix it (or if I need to) before I continue any further. Having a helpful guild would be a huge help, but unfortunately on Snowpine server, all I see are recruitments for level 70+ players, by the active, veteran guilds.

I got stuck very easily, all I did was just run the quests that I found and didn't realize I had to do any dungeons. Although I am part of a large gaming community, I tend to play MMOs (outside of our "Chapter" games), alone, but since the OP at least has a partner, they should fare a lot better. RO's system seems to focus a lot on playing with at least two players.

But yea, my one regret is playing solo and not having joined a guild, earlier in levels. Well, at least asking around, because I'm not sure that there are any veteran guilds, who are willing to help low levels on my server, since most of the recruitment posts are old and I haven't seen any in-game adverts aimed at recruiting new players.

Lyosha wrote:

Unfortunately, I am on Darkfall so I can't directly help you out in game. I am sending you a message though on how to contact me outside this particular forum thread if you would like some help. I have been playing since the first closed beta and am more then willing to take the time to help answer questions you have about the game. As for finding a guild I recommend you check out the official Revelation Online Discord. Here is a link. They have a guild recruitment chat that seems to be more active then the forums for recruitment.

Mishi wrote:

I am in Tenacious on Snowpine server and we have no level requirement. The majority of the guild is around the level 70's bracket, however we have a few around the 50's-60's as well. We area Casual-Semi HC mix, and PvX, guild which has been here since Beta phases. Though I don't want to jack this thread, but you're more than welcome to shoot me a PM, or post on our recruitment thread here on the forums. Tenacious Recruit thread

Sekkerhund wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I don't want to hijack this thread either, I'd been contemplating posting my own thread and was reading through some already posted, but I saw that Lyosha posted some very important advice, here, that new players need to be aware of. Since i've had a negative experience that highlights the importance of that advice, I decided to go ahead and weigh in with a reply.

This game has a lot of complicated sub-systems, especially the social systems and ignoring those social systems can put a new player into a difficult, confusing spot, very easily. If you're lucky enough to be playing with a friend, then class-type pairing may seem most important, but more important is understanding and learning the social sub-systems that will benefit your pairing more than class-types.

Limeball wrote:

My guild (Redemption) is in snowpine and we recruit all levels. I'm still nooby even at lvl 69 but they've been a godsend in actively helping me with dungeons and questions. Feel free to add me in game if you want (Raeva) and I'll see if I can help. : D

SirDaVamp wrote:

A tip from me :D
      Many newbies make the mistake to not level up at*59/69* . Just click the dam level up button! As soon as you can level up just do it.
      The reasons are far more than the reasons to not level up!
      Once you hit that level button keep in mind, your XP scales when you're higher level , it will be easier for you to farm Xp for your Cultivations. and getting to action with high levels.
      People at least in EU where the servers are far better than NA in terms of population. and PVE/PVP. Will most likely spam world chat for Raid runs so getting gear up to 69 is a piece of cake.
      Some will argue that you will get blasted in Arena and Battlegrounds if you go under geared, but many forget Battlegrounds and Arena are non existing below level 70 :D

Lyosha wrote:

Would argue for stopping at level 69 for a bit to catch up but does not want to hijack this thread :D
    • Hope I did that right, not familiar with the formatting of forums here.

@SirDaVamp
      Speaking just for myself, the reason that I stopped at level 59, wasn't by choice at first. My upgrade button was grey and I couldn't figure out why. (although I did read a lot of older posts recommending that people stop at level 55 and 59)

Once I got to reading posts here, on Reddit and other sites, it brought a lot of questions about whether or not I had gimped myself by not doing dungeons (I am NOT a dungeon player) and I wanted to halt for a bit, until I understood the systems better, because I was worried that if I continued, whether I would become more and more gimped.

I do not want to stay at 59. I was actually just rushing to get there, so I could change class from SS to Assassin, but after doing some reading, I realized that this rabbit hole was a LOT deeper than I'd thought... with a lot of tunnels. I found that just by doing quests, although they highlighted the many systems (in poor English), they didn't actually TEACH the systems, so I hadn't thought about exploring the stuff like Soul Grid, Cultivation (one of many terms that is confusing in English) or Crafting... which uses the Social system and a lot of other complex systems that all fit into the math that makes up the character's overall "gearscore" (for lack of a better term).

Then after reading your post, I was like, OK, I guess I can move forward, so I clicked the Upgrade button and the game warned me about some "Unison Breakthrough game mode". :S

After googling that... it seems it's a new system that is in the patch notes for Shadowblade patch, as being in the game, but according to a lot of player posts, is not actually in the game. Or wasn't as of December-ish, but since the game is warning us at level 59 about accepting level 60, I don't know if it has been patched in by now or not, since it's March now.

https://ro.my.com/en/shadowblade-patch-notes wrote:

Added the Unison Breakthrough game mode: Players at Level 59 and Level 69 can store vast amounts of XP and gain 10 levels at once in addition to a large amount of bonus XP.

I've seen posts where people are trying to figure out why players are leaving and no new players stay around. THIS IS THE REASON! It's confusing as hell, then you hear about it being P2W and most sensible players want nothing to do with it and walk away.

I'm a high ranking member of Gaiscioch. We are active in several games, have thousands of members, and I can not get a single person to come play RO with me. About 100 tried it, way back when it was first CBT and they all dumped it after about a week. Neoyoshi, one of the old Mods here, is one of our members and even he walked away and won't come back.

I like the game, I want to continue, but 59 is when a new player realizes that they've missed a lot and don't know how to continue. The game, right now, is literally telling us to stop at 59... due to that Unison thing. So that's why we're stopping at 59... because we do not want to gimp ourselves into trouble, where the only way out is to whale our way out. (which I actually don't have a problem with, I am a frugal whale).

edit: My SS toon on Snowpine is Miakoda, forgot that I've never mentioned that, so thank you to everyone on Snowpine who has offered help. I think I had whispers turned off, too, at least that's what one of the settings that I found, indicated.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sekkerhund ().

• Sekkerhund wrote:

I like the game, I want to continue, but 59 is when a new player realizes that they've missed a lot and don't know how to continue. The game, right now, is literally telling us to stop at 59... due to that Unison thing.
      It is not about the unision thing, it is a thing that have to do about common sense.

RO is NOT a game to be rushed with. Point.

I have seen THOUSANDS of players that are my level (79) with a gear... that when i looked at it.. i wanted some sort of medicine to cleance the pain in my eyes....

Each new player must take his own steps calmly and slowly. There are BILLION of things to do and untill you are geared the "level up" button should be considered a taboo.

There are tiers for a reason, and the fact you have a MANUAL level up system should be enough to make people understand that the game is designed to ALLOW the luxury to take your steps with the right beat until you are ready to go forward up to the next tier/step.

BryanFury - Clan Leader | Forum | Facebook |
    • Edit! Ok so now that we moved it to it's own thread here's what I would have put about players stopping leveling.

First off I am for it. So many people make the mistake thinking that this game's focus is on leveling. IT'S NOT. I've played games where you spend a solid month grinding one level. This isn't it. There are "stop" points because this game isn't focused on your level its focused on "brackets" of players and benchmarks at said points: 1-59, 60-69, 70-79. Each of these areas have different goals and not one of them is about getting to a higher level. Now that being said 59, 69, and technically 79 are your stop points in this game. Anything prior to that doesn't have enough content to warrant you staying at that level. Here's what I think about each point:

59: This was an important stopping point back when the level cap was 69. It was your last real chance to play 'catch up' before you hit end game content. Now, I would call this a pause point. If you are feeling behind, uncertain about things here can be your first point to catch a breath. I wouldn't recommend more then a week or two stopped here because you are cut out of a lot of content you should be working on that you can work on at 69. (More on that below). This is more of a point for players that have just joined the game and are on their first character will use then anyone else. You can work on getting a first gold set, start getting a better feel for your character and start grinding all the materials you will need to make your character stronger (dao, hematite, phlogiston, soul grid, etc). The major draw back again is you really don't have access to everything you should to make this a good place to say stop.

69: Here is your main stopping point. This is where you can truly start the grind for everything you need and also truly get to know your character in depth. Why?

You now have access to (almost) all of your arcane arts. If anyone has ever tried windswept gauntlet you know how annoying it is to play your character without arcane arts. It's a huge game changer. You also have access to majority of the demonslayer store which in turn can help you gear up. You gain merit from doing Daily Token and Misty Hollow with low level players. You have better access to exp gains and have a bit better access to pvp.

What are the drawbacks? This is mostly PvP related for me. If you aren't into pvp great, this won't matter too much. However, at least on Darkfall it is pretty much impossible to get the level 69 battlefield to open. We did it once and it took a lot to make it happen. This may be different on other servers. This locks you out of the army coin store since the required ranks to buy stuff. The work around? Send in a support ticket. My.com has helped me complete some of the ranking quests after I got enough points to level up. I am still getting all three boxes from doing other things that reward army coins. The drawback: No great way to get some good pvp where you aren't getting 1 shot instantly.

The next draw back that I can see is you aren't getting end game content: Eternal Chasm and Altar of Swords comes to mind. So what? You aren't going to be able to complete them anyways in your purple level 50 gear unless you have a team that is willing to carry your dead body through every boss. Let me know what else you feel is a drawback.

So what do you do at 69:
      • Gear - Get a decent gold set that won't get you laughed out of MC let alone EC/AoS
        • Phlogiston farming
        • Marks and Dragonspikes
        • Tier unlocking
        • Badge and Runes
        • Talisman
      • Arcane Arts - you have 80 points you need to get at this level thats a lot of exp and a lot of notes take your time to work on it because the ones at 79 are even more expensive.
      • Special Skills - It takes a lot of time or a lot of money to get all of your dao tree unlocked some of which can be a huge game changer for PvP and PvE depending on your class. Without buying Grandmaster Scrolls from other people it takes a good month to get your final special skill. Most people can reach 59 in a week which means you still have 18+ days of farming scrolls to go (unless you get lucky).
      • Soul Grid - unless you are willing to pay (in game or outside of) you are going to need to spend several weeks in funland or have tons of alts to help out. There are several ways to work on your soul grid, but the fact is to max your soul grid you need like +8 crystals. That's A LOT of +1 crystals.
      • Factions and Crafting - here's a great time to start investing in crafting. It's a huge intricate system and can make you a lot of money along with saving you a lot of money. To get anywhere in crafting your faction favor needs to be gold card or better to buy everything you need. Unless you plan on grinding a faction for a whole day (please don't do that) you need to be working on this for a couple months. Want to craft some of the stuff at level 79? Great max out your faction to get that master crafting tome (another couple months)
      • Finally LEARN YOUR CHARACTER - It is insane the amount of people that have just followed some build they got from another person, some without even knowing the source's experience and just said ok this works and went with it. Taking the time to experiment with point distribution for stats and your arcane arts could lead you in a totally different direction for play style and you never know, it may work really well. (Or it might not) Finding out what skills work best, in what order, and with what arcane arts is essential to playing your character well.
      • All that other stuff- I could go on but I'll stop hopefully you got the point.

Finally sorry for the wall of text. I feel passionately about this I guess and needed to rant on it? Not sure but here you go! My opinion on why telling people to go strait to 79 without waiting is really REALLY bad advice. Also please if you want to quote from it TAKE A SNIP don't quote the whole thing. Wall of text once is bad enough.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Lyosha ().

• Bryan Fury wrote:

Sekkerhund wrote:

I like the game, I want to continue, but 59 is when a new player realizes that they've missed a lot and don't know how to continue. The game, right now, is literally telling us to stop at 59... due to that Unison thing.
      It is not about the unision thing, it is a thing that have to do about common sense.
      RO is NOT a game to be rushed with. Point.

I have seen THOUSANDS of players that are my level (79) with a gear... that when i looked at it.. i wanted some sort of medicine to cleance the pain in my eyes....

Each new player must take his own steps calmly and slowly. There are BILLION of things to do and untill you are geared the "level up" button should be considered a taboo.

There are tiers for a reason, and the fact you have a MANUAL level up system should be enough to make people understand that the game is designed to ALLOW the luxury to take your steps with the right beat until you are ready to go forward up to the next tier/step.
      I 100% agree... now. But that's only after trying to read up on WTH is going on with the halt in level progression. If I hadn't of been stumped on why the game halted me at 59, I would have blown right on past it and never realized... well, exactly what you just said.

That's why you've found thousands of clueless level 79 players, because someone just told them how to assign the Skill Cultivation points, so they did that and moved on. Since I didn't have a guild giving me advice (even if bad), I had to go digging for it, where I discovered how complicated the game systems actually are.

I was impressed (at first) to discover that there are quests that "introduce" the player to the game systems, but due to poor English sentence structure and confusing context, it does a pretty crappy job. I even expected some sort of step-by-step tutorial (several games do that), but nope. Just bad English and move on to the next quest.

Having a "manual" upgrade button doesn't even register, to myself and I imagine most players, as a method of self-checking your character progress. Out of almost 100 MMOGs that I've played over the last couple of decades, I can't think of any other game that has that. Yea, it makes sense now, but at first it was just something frustrating that I wanted to get past.

So to myself, and I imagine a lot of others, it just seems like some weird Chinese design thing. The game claims to be in a Beta state anyway, so seeing odd and incomplete systems is not going to set off any alarms.
    • Hi Sekkerhund ,

The few guys above pretty much sums up everything...

Not sure have you seen this...
      below link is one of the most comprehensive beginner guide i read so far ... hope it will solve some of your puzzles.

Revelation Online New Player Guide - Dulfy

i played the game almost a year now ..even till today there are things which still surprises me also things i not seen before.

I would suggest that you may consider find yourself an mentor also join into a newbie friendly guild which active during your online time
    • Happy news/Sad news:

• That guide is really out of date and a lot of it is incorrectly translated now that we got the 'official' English version
      • I have talked to Dulfy and she has been totally cool with me stealing her guides, updating them and republishing them
      • Sad news is I am a full time college student, working a part-time job, and tutoring high-schoolers in math 2 nights a week along with playing my own character on RO. (ie: I have no time)
      • Other sad news....I get bored so I get part the way through fixing them and jump to a new one to break up the monotony.
      • Even better news! I am on spring break next week so I will actually have time to work on these!
        • So far I am 80% the way through the one about skills/special skills and about 50% of the way through one on gear sets and maybe 20% the way through the one on crafting. (Again I get bored)
        • I also have an old one I wrote myself about the guild base that needs editing and updating
        • I also have one on Scenic Chronicles, but it has no pictures cause 2 headed 4 armed bears are scary.
      So look forward to it!

• Lyosha wrote:

Happy news/Sad news:

• That guide is really out of date and a lot of it is incorrectly translated now that we got the 'official' English version
      • I have talked to Dulfy and she has been totally cool with me stealing her guides, updating them and republishing them
      • Sad news is I am a full time college student, working a part-time job, and tutoring high-schoolers in math 2 nights a week along with playing my own character on RO. (ie: I have no time)
      • Other sad news....I get bored so I get part the way through fixing them and jump to a new one to break up the monotony.
      • Even better news! I am on spring break next week so I will actually have time to work on these!
        • So far I am 80% the way through the one about skills/special skills and about 50% of the way through one on gear sets and maybe 20% the way through the one on crafting. (Again I get bored)
        • I also have an old one I wrote myself about the guild base that needs editing and updating
        • I also have one on Scenic Chronicles, but it has no pictures cause 2 headed 4 armed bears are scary.
      So look forward to it!
      Its out of date and translation is bit off but most of things are still relevant,
      unfortunately its still one of the best guide we able to get out there.

nice , thanks for the effort, will look forward till you actually comes out with something better.
    • Thanks for suggesting Dulfy guide, I've loved her guides site for ... a long time. :)

Unfortunately, I did find the Dulfy guide and have read parts of it. To a vet player, it can probably be a helpful tool for them, to understand a few systems that they may not completely understand already, since they'd already be able to mentally replace terms and other incorrect information.

To a new player... not so much. I found it confusing.

That's a problem with the guides that I have found, most were written based off of Chinese version, so partly pre-CBT and then CBT.

If someone has something that was written circa Fall 2017, please link it.

Happy news/Sad news:

Lyosha wrote:

So look forward to it!
      That would be awesome. :thumbsup: I was a bit disappointed that Dulfy left her RO guide in that shape. It's uncommon for the typical high quality of her guides.
    • Hi Sekkerhund,
      Are you still looking for a guide? if so what class are you maybe I can help you in finding a good and up to date guide.
      If I can't find anything I'm sure I can assist you with whatever question you may have about the game or class :)

Sekkerhund wrote:

Thanks for suggesting Dulfy guide, I've loved her guides site for ... a long time. :)

Unfortunately, I did find the Dulfy guide and have read parts of it. To a vet player, it can probably be a helpful tool for them, to understand a few systems that they may not completely understand already, since they'd already be able to mentally replace terms and other incorrect information.

To a new player... not so much. I found it confusing.

That's a problem with the guides that I have found, most were written based off of Chinese version, so partly pre-CBT and then CBT.

If someone has something that was written circa Fall 2017, please link it.

Happy news/Sad news:

Lyosha wrote:

So look forward to it!
      That would be awesome. :thumbsup: I was a bit disappointed that Dulfy left her RO guide in that shape. It's uncommon for the typical high quality of her guides.
    • Krabby wrote:

Hi Sekkerhund,
      Are you still looking for a guide? if so what class are you maybe I can help you in finding a good and up to date guide.
      If I can't find anything I'm sure I can assist you with whatever question you may have about the game or class :)
      Spirit Shaper, but I think that Lindely's SS guide is still current. (at least I hope so, since I've been using it to learn how to build and upgrade Miakoda's skills)

What I really need IMMEDIATE help with, is clarification on what the status is, of the "Unison Breakthrough game mode":

That currently has me stalled at level 59, because I'm reading posts from players stating that it's not active, even though the Shadowblade patch notes says it was implemented, but the GAME is giving me that pop-up warning and I can't get a response from other official RO media sources.

My.com and Netease really need to address and/or fix that, either way.

On a smaller, not so important note... what do I do with Social Chocolates?

Also, there's a few items flagged as Mythos, but I've read that the Mythos system isn't in our version, although some of the items are able to be consumed when clicked.
    • Sekkerhund wrote:

Krabby wrote:

Hi Sekkerhund,
      Spirit Shaper, but I think that Lindely's SS guide is still current. (at least I hope so, since I've been using it to learn how to build and upgrade Miakoda's skills)
      What I really need IMMEDIATE help with, is clarification on what the status is, of the "Unison Breakthrough game mode":

That currently has me stalled at level 59, because I'm reading posts from players stating that it's not active, even though the Shadowblade patch notes says it was implemented, but the GAME is giving me that pop-up warning and I can't get a response from other official RO media sources.

Also, there's a few items flagged as Mythos, but I've read that the Mythos system isn't in our version, although some of the items are able to be consumed when clicked.
      The spirit Shaper guide I will leave to someone else I don't know much about the class.

From what I understand about unison breakthrough: this is in game, BUT it is something the server has to unlock. The requirement is the server has 400 people at level 59 or below, which with the state of the servers right now isn't going to happen. Here is where I am getting that information. If I am looking at this wrong someone please correct me. (Pst I'm in Sulan by the White Jade Vendor) I would ignore the popup and keep leveling to 69 which is a much healthier stopping point.

Social Chocolates are used on another player to increase your relationship with them. When you open your friends list you will see hearts under Intimacy which basically indicates how much you play with that player. (Names censored for their privacy) Chocolates will increase that. You need to be next to the person to use them. If I remember right though chocolates are ones that need to be used on a pack mate and not just any friend. You can always try though.

As for mythos, yes it is fully in game and functional. Here are some great links to get you started on it if you are intereseted:

Mythos Forum and Mythos (Partial Guide)

Also someone super please remind me how to make my pictures smaller in forum posts....I resorted to spoiler tags to avoid bloating a post.

• As Lyoshi already explained, the unison break is something that was applicable when there was a level cap so it is safe to just level up.

Lyosha wrote:

Sekkerhund wrote:

Krabby wrote:

Hi Sekkerhund,
      Spirit Shaper, but I think that Lindely's SS guide is still current. (at least I hope so, since I've been using it to learn how to build and upgrade Miakoda's skills)What I really need IMMEDIATE help with, is clarification on what the status is, of the "Unison Breakthrough game mode":

The spirit Shaper guide I will leave to someone else I don't know much about the class.
      From what I understand about unison breakthrough: this is in game, BUT it is something the server has to unlock. The requirement is the server has 400 people at level 59 or below, which with the state of the servers right now isn't going to happen. Here is where I am getting that information. If I am looking at this wrong someone please correct me. (Pst I'm in Sulan by the White Jade Vendor) I would ignore the popup and keep leveling to 69 which is a much healthier stopping point.

Social Chocolates are used on another player to increase your relationship with them. When you open your friends list you will see hearts under Intimacy which basically indicates how much you play with that player. (Names censored for their privacy) Chocolates will increase that. You need to be next to the person to use them. If I remember right though chocolates are ones that need to be used on a pack mate and not just any friend. You can always try though.

As for mythos, yes it is fully in game and functional. Here are some great links to get you started on it if you are intereseted:

Mythos Forum and Mythos (Partial Guide)

Also someone super please remind me how to make my pictures smaller in forum posts....I resorted to spoiler tags to avoid bloating a post.
    • Sekkerhund wrote:

Lyosha wrote:

THAT... I can help with. 8o When you upload picture as attachment, you can put cursor where you want to embed picture in post, then select Thumbnail.
      For example:

Yep see I completely forgot the attachment button at the bottom...here I keep using imgur to get my pics into the forum. *facepalm* :whistling:

• Krabby wrote:

As Lyoshi already explained, the unison break is something that was applicable when there was a level cap so it is safe to just level up
      The RO Twitter folks finally responded to me this morning, but they're saying that it's disabled due to complications and that I should not be getting a pop-up for it at all:

Revelation Online ‏ @RevOnlineGame 5h5 hours ago More Replying to @Sekkerhund @RevOnlineGame Hello Sekkerhund, Do you have a screenshot at all? We do not have this feature implemented in the game at the moment due to complications. (I will have those patch-notes updated) Thank you for reaching out to us.

?(

edit: (I did respond with the screenshot and link to this thread)
    • Sekkerhund wrote:

Krabby wrote:

As Lyoshi already explained, the unison break is something that was applicable when there was a level cap so it is safe to just level up
      The RO Twitter folks finally responded to me this morning, but they're saying that it's disabled due to complications and that I should not be getting a pop-up for it at all:
      Revelation Online ‏ @RevOnlineGame 5h5 hours ago More Replying to @Sekkerhund @RevOnlineGame Hello Sekkerhund, Do you have a screenshot at all? We do not have this feature implemented in the game at the moment due to complications. (I will have those patch-notes updated) Thank you for reaching out to us.

?(

O.O I wonder what that board means then, man this game still confuses me some days

• Blah, I forgot about that. I'll add a link to your post w/screenshot to my tweet reply for them, so they can look at that, too.

Or, folks are welcome to add to the tweet thread, that is a clickable link back to it, in my above post. It sounds like this is a bug that they were not aware of and chasing down, now, so anything relevant will be of help to them.
    • Sekkerhund wrote:

Krabby wrote:

?(

Thank you for correcting me Sekkerhund and apologies for the confusion I might have caused. :)