f
s

Level 79 Vanguard Builds

    • Level 79 Vanguard Skill Description (updated) and Builds

      Hello everyone :)
      My ign is BasicKimchi from Dark Fall (NA) server.
      Guild: Hostile
      Due to many requests I decided to upload a vanguard build guide to the forum which i quickly wrote. Please note that I do not consider myself as an expert of my class and I am still learning the game ^^. Feel free to post any constructive criticism or post anything that I can add to the guide! Thank you all and have fun with the game!

      Arcane arts will not be posted due to people having different amount of talent points and books but if you would like to see my talent points for these builds with 90 cultivation points please message me in game or discord BasicKimchi#4333. Just a note that dps vanguards typically require a lot of funding to be viable compared to tank vanguards because the mainhand and offhand have both chance to roll both defensive and offensive stats along with venerations. Dps vanguards also require a lot of cultivation points and daos on special skill to have the same or higher dps than other actual dps classes.


      Stances: When I talk about dps and tank vanguards its related to the cultivation of the skill concentrate. Top line cultivation is the dps stance (thunderborn). Bottom line cultivation is the tank stance. Regular stance is when the toggle for the Concentrate skill is off.



      PVP DPS Vanguard

      Skill distribution:



      This is the skill point I currently use and it is not optimized. For conqueror’s sweep, heroic leap, and dragon grip you want ATLEAST 15 points in them to be reliable CC’s anything lower usually does not CC the other player of same level. For Heroic Strike, having more points in it lets you build your left special skill bar faster but I personally don’t really have problem with it by keeping it level 5 and cultivation points in special skill gain for it. For offensive skills I maxed the points in broken array and crippling bolt because they are one of the main damage dealing regular skills. Tornado Sweep was left at level 10 because I do not use bleed build (This is due to personal reasoning that in group pvp I don’t really feel the effective building bleed stacks on a target. I believe a vanguard’s playstyle should be using quick regular attack skills with animation cancelling to build left special skill bar up and dive into groups to burst them down with special skills). For vanguard’s blessing I wanted to increase the max hp to myself and the party so it is maxed. Wyrmweed (Iron Resolve) is maxed to reduce cooldown on mercurial. Light shield is optional but I maxed it because there are times where I mess up with cc breaks and damage reduction that the only defensive skill I have left is light shield. Fearless (No Fear) is maxed for reduced cooldown. Be careful of the timing to use fearless especially in pvp because using fearless while in thunderborn stance (the top offensive line for Benetnash aka Concentrate) you reduce your defence by 50% to gain a 50% increase in damage. So if enemy has mercurial and dodges your attack you are just a sitting duck and take more damage.

      Gears:
      Important offensive: crit, crit increment, special skill rate
      Important defensive stats: magic damage reduction, physical damage reduction, crit reduction, special skill damage reduction, max hp.

      Attributes:
      High Strength 200+, Medium Dex to make sure you have enough crit rate (normally want atleast 55% crit rate unbuffed) 100~150, Medium vigor and spirit for defensive attributes but more skewered towards spirit since vanguard has low magic defence in general 80~130. If you have spare attribute points where you can’t put it into strength/spirit/vigor/dex anymore put into intelligence so that you get 60 more hp for having a clean + 10 stat which you get from having 60 cultivation points.

      Special Skills to bring:


      For 1v1 I recommend taking Indomitable Will over Dauntless Spirit because of the difference in cooldown. Without cooldown reduction for daos indomitable will has a 30 second cooldown while dauntless has 60 second cooldown. With max cooldown reduction daos, indomitable will has a 20 second cooldown while dauntless has 40 second cooldown. Since indomitable will is a valuable cc break skill besides wyrmweed (iron resolve) in 1v1’s it is more favorable especially against Blademasters and Occultists which has a lot of cc. Indomitable Will also let you combo into holy vortex right after unlike dauntless due to the weird length of its casting animation. Dauntless Spirit is good in small sized PVP because it can help keep your teammates alive in clutch situations (especially spirit shapers which are usually focused).

      Daos:

      Smite- red and orange for increased damage/special skill cost reduction. Some people like to mix orange and blues for balanced special skill cost and cooldown reduction.
      Blazing Charge- red and orange for increased damage/special skill cost reduction. Some people like to mix orange and blues for balanced special skill cost and cooldown reduction.

      Sundering Steel- red and green for increased damage and bonus damage when enemy hp is lower than a certain threshold. This skill is usually a finisher again squishy targets that are running away with low hp. One of your ranged special skill.

      Shield Storm- red and blue for increased damage reduction and reduced cooldown. This is one of your main defensive skills that let you survive against hard hitting skills. I use it alongside with fearless to negate the -50% defence from the fearless and go all out with vortex + smite combo or vortex + blazing charge. (With no cooldown daos the skill cooldown is 75 seconds. With max cooldown daos the skill cooldown is 50 seconds.

      Holy Vortex – best group pvp skill ever. High damage multiplier easy to build special skill power because you just have to take a few hits (can usually cast immediately after fearless). Red and blue daos for increased damage and cooldown reduction but some people do a mix of blue and green daos (reduce enemy physical and magic damage) while maxing red.

      Indomitable Will- Red and blue daos for increase in physical and magic damage of yourself and allies as well as cooldown reduction. Another more budget friendly build is max blue dao but mix red and green daos (increase damage reduction of enemy).

      Dauntless Spirit- There is a debate for this skill to go red and blue daos or blue and green daos. I personally prefer blue and green daos for cooldown reduction and extended buff duration. But again for a more budget friendly build max blue daos and do a mix of red and green daos.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by BasicKimchi ().

    • PVP/PVE Tank Vanguard Build
      (Personally I do not recommend this build for PVP unless you have the cultivation in Iron Resolve that heals your hp from taking a critical hit or wait till the balancing patch which will come few patches later on after assassin release where concentrate and the defensive fearless to be changed to damage reduction. With the current Meta of defence break from other classes such as swordmage, occultists, and blademasters it is not ideal to stack defence).
      Skill Distribution:


      Reasoning: same reasoning as pvp dps vanguard for conqureror’s sweep, heroic leap, dragon’s grasp for reliable cc. Same reasoning as pvp dps vanguard for defensive skills like concentrate, vanguard’s blessing, iron resolve, light shield, fearless. However, for fearless you can use it more frequently cause in tank stance it increases defence by 50% but reduces your attack by 50%. Crippling Bolt and Tornado Sweep is maxed for some damage in pvp but really important in PVE.

      Gears:
      if you have EC gear for PVE skip this section

      Budget friendly PVE offensive stats: minimum physical attack, special skill damage, crit, crit increment
      PVE defensive stats: physical armor/defence, crit reduction, spell resistance, magic armor/defence
      PVP/PVE offensive stats: crit, crit increment, special skill damage, max physical attack
      PVP defensive stats: magic damage reduction, physical damage reduction, crit reduction, special skill damage reduction, max hp.

      Attributes:
      Medium Strength 100~160 to hold agro on bosses and damage people in pvp. Amount will depend on the damage that the dps in your static for raid does. Low Dex 20~80 not too important to crit but u might want to aim higher if your crit rate is lower than 40%. Medium spirit 100~140 for extra hp and some magic defence. High vigor 200+ for survivability against high level dungeon bosses.

      Special Skills to bring:


      In PVP:
      Always bring blazing charge. If you want to give damage bonus to teammates bring indomitable will. If it’s 1v1 or team fights where you just want to help keep everyone alive bring dauntless spirit.

      In PVE:
      Bring blazing charge for damage or mobility. (EX: MC expert 3rd boss where you have to go to correct swamp pool or AoS 3* expert 2nd and 5th boss where there are mechanics that requires to be on a spot and that spot could be far away from you). Bring relentless hurricane for extra mercurial, mainly used against bosses that have a lot of cc/knockbacks and requires the boss to be stationary. Bring indomitable will if you require it’s taunt to build agro, require the damage reduction dao of it to save teammates, require damage buff from it to dps the boss more. Bring dauntless spirit if you can build agro without indomitable will and give your squishy dps/healers extra hp during boss aoe phases that does a lot of damage.

      Daos:
      Smite- red and orange for increased damage/special skill cost reduction. Some people like to mix orange and blues for balanced special skill cost and cooldown reduction.

      Blazing Charge- red and orange for increased damage/special skill cost reduction. Some people like to mix orange and blues for balanced special skill cost and cooldown reduction.

      Relentless Hurricane- Orange and mixes of blue/green for increased life steal and damage and reduced cooldown. Often used as extra mercurial in PVE for tanks.

      Sundering Steel- red and green for increased damage and bonus damage when enemy hp is lower than a certain threshold.

      Shield Storm- red and blue for increased damage reduction and reduced cooldown.

      Holy Vortex- Red and blue for damage. Alternative is green and blue for damage reduction from enemy and boss for 10 seconds.

      Indomitable Will- Red and blue for damage. Alternative is green and blue for higher damage reduction than holy vortex but lasts 5 seconds.

      Dauntless Spirit- same as before

      Agro build for PVE tanks:
      Agro in this game is based off of dps so even if you are using tank stance to generate “hate” and using indomitable will to taunt, if there is a high damage dealing dps in your team they can still easily take agro (which is why you often see switch back and forth between tank and dps when they use taunt skills. In order to increase the agro generation as vanguard you have to rely on your bleed damage from tornado sweep and special skill damage. Bleed damage is based off of your average physical attack damage of the 1st stack of bleed you put on the target which is why minimum physical attack stat on gears can be helpful in PVE for unfunded players to close the distance between their min and max attack range.

      You would at least want the top 2 cultivation points for tornado sweep to increase bleed duration and number of stacks.


      However, once you have the EC gear (end game PVE gear) it is not as important. In order to generate maxium minimum physical damage for your first bleed stack you want to first start out in regular stance (turn concentrate skill off). Then you want to build stacks from your mainhand bonus (5 stacks) before you start the boss.



      I usually just use conqueror’s sweep in spot to build the stacks.
      Notice the first time you cast a spell you trigger your offhand bonus stat:



      Now once you have 5 stacks you just keep spamming your conqueror’s sweep, regular attacks to not lose those stacks and after 30 seconds the offhand bonus stat will trigger again. When it is triggered, use fearless -> switch back to tank stance (activate concentrate) -> leap onto the boss -> indomitable will + vortex -> tornado sweep . Then just keep up regular skill rotations to not lose bleed stack and throw special skill here and there to continuously build agro. Normally dps classes will see the holy vortex as a sign to start dpsing. If a swordmage uses starsword before you use holy vortex…kick him/her out of team lul.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by BasicKimchi ().

    • PVE DPS Vanguard

      Skill Distribution:


      This is my skill distribution (not optimized). Heroic Strike maxed for generating left special skill fast, everything else same reasoning as before. No point of using light shield in PVE as dps vanguard so its at level 1.

      Gears:
      I just mainly use my PVP gear for PVE. But again easily replaced by EC gear cause that’s the god of PVE gear.
      Important offensive: (budget friendly: minimum physical attack) crit, crit increment, special skill rate
      Important defensive stats: magic damage reduction, physical damage reduction, crit reduction, special skill damage reduction, max hp.

      Attributes:
      Same for PVP and PVE because who has the money to make separate pages just for attributes.

      Special Skills to bring:



      Daos:
      Smite- red and orange for increased damage/special skill cost reduction. Some people like to mix orange and blues for balanced special skill cost and cooldown reduction.

      Blazing Charge- red and orange for increased damage/special skill cost reduction. Some people like to mix orange and blues for balanced special skill cost and cooldown reduction.

      Relentless Hurricane- Orange and mixes of blue/green for increased life steal and damage and reduced cooldown.

      Sundering Steel- red and green for increased damage and bonus damage when enemy hp is lower than a certain threshold.

      Shield Storm- red and blue for increased damage reduction and reduced cooldown.

      Holy Vortex - red and blue daos for increased damage and cooldown reduction but some people do a mix of blue and green daos (reduce enemy physical and magic damage) while maxing red.

      Indomitable Will- red and blue daos for increase in physical and magic damage of yourself and allies as well as cooldown reduction. Another more budget friendly build is max blue dao but mix red and green daos (increase damage reduction of enemy).

      DPS PVE Vanguard rotation:
      starting out boss fights is similar to tank vanguard agro generation but easier, just start out in dps (thunderborn) stance. You can build the mainhand stacks before or during the fight, and once the offhand bonus stat is triggered again use damage buff from vanguard’s blessing if you have the cultivation points for it - > fearless - > indomitable will -> tornado sweep -> choose between smite or holy vortex + sundering steel depending on how much special skill you have at your use. Note im just describing the concept to build bleed stacks. The rotation after that is basically as you see fit, but typically you always want the fissure from crippling bolt to always be on the ground, use fearless along with your high hitting special skills, and don’t lose your bleed stacks.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by BasicKimchi ().

    • regarding special skills , i did prefer replacing indomitable will over shield storm. So only indomitable will, holy vortex and dauntless for PvP.
      - combine indomitable with fearless = instant burst , normally i hit over 30k+ pull against 350k might players.
      - extra anti cc break, very important when vg mercurial is on CD .
      - It's true that shield storm is used under fearless due to -50% defense , but i heard future update will slightly reduce it . Alternatively , can easily build magic/physical dmg reduction from fairy funland accessory as well as veneration on armors. Can get a least 15-20% on both side which also help a lot in replacing shield storm.
    • xShin wrote:

      regarding special skills , i did prefer replacing indomitable will over shield storm. So only indomitable will, holy vortex and dauntless for PvP.
      - combine indomitable with fearless = instant burst , normally i hit over 30k+ pull against 350k might players.
      - extra anti cc break, very important when vg mercurial is on CD .
      - It's true that shield storm is used under fearless due to -50% defense , but i heard future update will slightly reduce it . Alternatively , can easily build magic/physical dmg reduction from fairy funland accessory as well as veneration on armors. Can get a least 15-20% on both side which also help a lot in replacing shield storm.
      I have tried it before where i keep both indomitable will and dauntless for pvp. Although having the extra anti cc break is nice i found that without shield storm a highly geared bm/occ/sm spec'd for defence break can easily tear you apart (Yes I have the lvl 75 funland earrings and damage reduction venerations on my armor with 40% crit red and 24% special skill damage red). Another option though if you do decide to take both dauntless and indomitable will for pvp is maybe to spec indomitable will to damage reduction of 50% for 5 sec which could potentially be used instead of shield storm.
      However, currently my build for pvp uses indomitable will, shield storm, and vortex. This is because I have a lot of cultivation points so i can spec my conqueror's sweep 2nd swipe for control skill immunity which i can use along side with iron resolve and indomitable will for extra anti-cc!
    • Broken Array at 20/20, while having the Tank stance at only 15/20 (just to unlock the 3rd column of the augments) and having only 100 Vigor makes nonsense.

      That skill rely much on your P.Def to add damage (at 20/20 if i remember correctly it convert with a ratio of 1:1 your defence as additional damage).

      You are not maxing out the stance itself because you are not using it as a Tank, so, all the stats it gives are not added (once you put points in the Offensive augmentations the Tank stance will get disabled and you wont get the stats). The skill itself is a sort of waste in points because you are not using it at its full potential.


      BryanFury - Clan Leader | Forum | Facebook |
    • Bryan Fury wrote:

      Broken Array at 20/20, while having the Tank stance at only 15/20 (just to unlock the 3rd column of the augments) and having only 100 Vigor makes nonsense.

      That skill rely much on your P.Def to add damage (at 20/20 if i remember correctly it convert with a ratio of 1:1 your defence as additional damage).

      You are not maxing out the stance itself because you are not using it as a Tank, so, all the stats it gives are not added (once you put points in the Offensive augmentations the Tank stance will get disabled and you wont get the stats). The skill itself is a sort of waste in points because you are not using it at its full potential.
      yeah i see your point with concentrate being 15/20 again it says "not optimized" (resets are expensive LOL) but im just doing 100 vigor cause i usually have high phys def from my gear even without stacking a lot of vigor. I usually dont have much problem against bm and other vg but i do have trouble against occ and sm's more so i take a lot more spirit. But i do agree if you cant get more phys def from gear its better to put points into vigor since as you said the broken array's damage can scale from it. In terms of PVE though then yes I 100% agree that my attributes is weird if i want to maximize output of broken array. However, I dont plan on buying an extra page for attributes so i just keep the same one i use in PVP since the bleed stack damage + special skills already do plenty with my rotation in PVE. But yeah thanks for all the inputs ^^
    • demoinja wrote:

      at 20/20 broken array p.def multiplier is 0.9 , so i think it's useless to lvl it up above 18/20 since u get 0.9 ?
      also for dps VG going above 15/20 on stance is useless and i personally would go 10/20 for PVE build
      Totally agree with you on the VG Concentrate level. This might change in the future when they allow us to stance change in battle though.

      Broken array is one of my highest dmg skills, why would I not want to got 20/20 for PvE DPS? Also I would go real low in conquer sweep. I only use that skill for a filler.
    • demoinja wrote:

      ..] for dps VG going above 15/20 on stance is useless and i personally would go 10/20 for PVE build
      The Stance skill is correct to stay 10 or 15 as points as well. It all depends if you want to unlock only the first 2 colums or all the 3 colums in the augments page.

      The 3rd colum unlock a special points multiplier for the LEFT side, so.. if you want to use more often the special skills you should take that augment too.


      BryanFury - Clan Leader | Forum | Facebook |
    • no no it was a real question ,
      my broken array is 20/20 myself cuz i personally don't have a dps stats
      i use my PVP stats for dpsing , so my defense is really high and broken array does tons of damage.
      but when i read the thread and checked the skills
      i found out that "213.1%" physical damage multiplier is constant at all levels and so is the cool down
      what changes is the p.def multiplier
      but at 18/20 it's 0.9
      and at 20/20 it's also 0.9
      so is there any reason to actually level it up from 18 to 20 ?
    • demoinja wrote:

      no no it was a real question ,
      my broken array is 20/20 myself cuz i personally don't have a dps stats
      i use my PVP stats for dpsing , so my defense is really high and broken array does tons of damage.
      but when i read the thread and checked the skills
      i found out that "213.1%" physical damage multiplier is constant at all levels and so is the cool down
      what changes is the p.def multiplier
      but at 18/20 it's 0.9
      and at 20/20 it's also 0.9
      so is there any reason to actually level it up from 18 to 20 ?
      It does only if you care about the Knockback effect. The higher the skill the more efficent is the effect against a character.

      Let's say... the CC effect power on the skill at Lv 20/20 is "100" while at 19/20 is "90" and ecc...

      So, this mean, the more the difference between your skill levels and your target, it may happen that the knockback effect wont land. Just that.


      BryanFury - Clan Leader | Forum | Facebook |
    • For pvp going dps. Is it better to use 2x funland earring magic based? i seen lot of vanguards with both earning magic defense (+ all magic reduction in blue and green).

      Would it be better to use both funland physical based since vanguard broken array will have more damage due to the physical defense?
    • Zigg wrote:

      For pvp going dps. Is it better to use 2x funland earring magic based? i seen lot of vanguards with both earning magic defense (+ all magic reduction in blue and green).

      Would it be better to use both funland physical based since vanguard broken array will have more damage due to the physical defense?
      I always use 2x funland because it lets u tank more damage rather than increase in broken array damage. Especially since vg naturally has low magic defence. People mainly use scour earrings because 1. the extra crit it gives 2. do not want to farm/buy funland earrings but funland earrings is the way to go with pvp. You can get the extra crit from other parts of your gear/soulgrid
    • Also, I've been getting messages from people in game and discord saying that their friends have told them that you can get a higher bleed damage if you start out the bleed stack with sundering steel (the special skill) instead of tornado sweep. This is false information, the bleed damage you get from starting out with either sundering steel or tornado sweep is the same, they are both the same 39.8% physical damage. The only way to increase the bleed damage to raise your base physical damage when landing the first bleed stack.
    • Is this guide updated? I wanna know about PVP gears but you just briefly stated which stats we want but I don't know exactly which one to get. AFAIK, I should get Apocalypse Helm and Armor, then craft the Pants, Gloves, and Boots, right? Most of the top VGs in my server has EC gears so I can't really get a good basis for the itemization of PVP VG.