f
s

Occultist (流光) Class Information

• Action mode all the way it's the only fun mode really. All other modes have you right click to move your camera which makes you less competitive imo. You can still tab target and even if you're not aiming properly for someone/something the attack will reach the nearest target to your aim. If no target is near for damage skills it'll be impossible to use them and for healing skills you'll use them on yourself.

Also no worries about having to gear for either healing or DPSing as both use the same stat (Agility) for the occultist. This will be your main stat and you won't want another stat really. At the start you'll drop a few points in spirit and constitution to get a base of hp and def but after that all your points go in agility. Agility gives you crit (you can both damage and heal crit) and it'll give you damage and healing power. For anyone reading this, the agility stat ONLY works that way for occultist. For other classes it only gives crit (cept gunslinger).
    • Yoruki wrote:

Action mode all the way it's the only fun mode really. All other modes have you right click to move your camera which makes you less competitive imo. You can still tab target and even if you're not aiming properly for someone/something the attack will reach the nearest target to your aim. If no target is near for damage skills it'll be impossible to use them and for healing skills you'll use them on yourself.

Also no worries about having to gear for either healing or DPSing as both use the same stat (Agility) for the occultist. This will be your main stat and you won't want another stat really. At the start you'll drop a few points in spirit and constitution to get a base of hp and def but after that all your points go in agility. Agility gives you crit (you can both damage and heal crit) and it'll give you damage and healing power. For anyone reading this, the agility stat ONLY works that way for occultist. For other classes it only gives crit (cept gunslinger).

Here's my question regarding that, now it could be the fact I don't have crafted gear aside from my weapon and it might change when I craft the gear which I prob won't do but I digress. I tried running a full agi build while making sure my "turn the soul" ability was always leveled as high as my level would allow (turn the soul is the ability that lets us switch between light and dark, when leveled it boosts our dmg/healing capabilities by a percentage of our AGI stat, just for those that are going to be wondering as to what we are talking about) and my heals were about 260-290 with the standard healing skill and that was leveled as well. I also tried a full spirit set up and got the same results. However, the moment I put 100 points into spirit and then the rest of my points into AGI which at my current level is about 169 agi, I heal for 330 with my normal healing skill.

So, how viable is it to go a full AGI build if you are trying to be an all around healer/damager, if doing a mix seems to have better results?
    • Using only basic attack, Turn Soul 12/20

Heal without stat /170-200 crit 300/ Damage without stat /400-600 crit 850/

Heal with 100 Spirit /230-270 crit 400/ Damage with 100 Spirit /400-600 crit 850/

Heal with 100 Agility /200-260 crit 350/ Damage with 100 Agility /550-690 crit 1000/

Heal with 50 Spirit and 50 Agility /200-260 crit 350/ Damage with 50 Spirit and 50 Agility /500-650 crit 950/

Now time to explain those results: Yes Spirit is the stat that gives the most healing power and Agility doesn't offer as high of a boost because it scales with your skill level (turn soul). Now some of you may be tempted to go the pure healing route with spirit but, in doing so, you completely lose damage. The occultist class is meant to (and expected to) be able to switch to damage dealing when healing isn't needed. Mixing both Agi and Spr gives the same result as 100 Agi with healing for me but is a waste of points as you could get higher healing by just boosting spirit or higher dps by boosting agility only. I'll say right away that a full Agi build is still viable for healing. So it's up to you to go one stat or the other. For now I can't test if Agi healing scales up to the level or spirit once your turn soul skill is maxed which would render the spirit build completely useless.

So for now the build I use and a few others are using too is 50 con, 50 spr and the rest into agi. The con and spr are a base for mdef and hp.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Yoruki: Changed from 100 Agi/100 Spr to 50 Agi/ 50 Spr because it's the same stat involvement as the other options. ().

• Yoruki wrote:

Using only basic attack, Turn Soul 12/20

Heal without stat /170-200 crit 300/ Damage without stat /400-600 crit 850/

Heal with 100 Spirit /230-270 crit 400/ Damage with 100 Spirit /400-600 crit 850/

Heal with 100 Agility /200-260 crit 350/ Damage with 100 Agility /550-690 crit 1000/

Heal with 50 Spirit and 50 Agility /200-260 crit 350/ Damage with 50 Spirit and 50 Agility /500-650 crit 950/

Now time to explain those results: Yes Spirit is the stat that gives the most healing power and Agility doesn't offer as high of a boost because it scales with your skill level (turn soul). Now some of you may be tempted to go the pure healing route with spirit but, in doing so, you completely lose damage. The occultist class is meant to (and expected to) be able to switch to damage dealing when healing isn't needed. Mixing both Agi and Spr gives the same result as 100 Agi with healing for me but is a waste of points as you could get higher healing by just boosting spirit or higher dps by boosting agility only. I'll say right away that a full Agi build is still viable for healing. So it's up to you to go one stat or the other. For now I can't test if Agi healing scales up to the level or spirit once your turn soul skill is maxed which would render the spirit build completely useless.

So for now the build I use and a few others are using too is 50 con, 50 spr and the rest into agi. The con and spr are a base for mdef and hp.
      Thank you for this. Sounds like a no Brainer for me. I'd go 50/50 as well.
    • I was lurking the Internet and came across this youtube video. Now the video is of no concern, what is of concern is what 2009boniu says in a comment reply:

2009boniu from Youtube wrote:

"this class is like an afterthought, and was the last class to be released. it's a combo of healer and dark mage. I see a lot of players on the Chinese official forum complain about it being mediocre in everything, parties almost always take spiritshapers over them, however, they can be great at group pvp, because of their aoe heals. might have to invest some $ into the gear to build up def."

I am worried that this class will become like most hybrid classes and become worthless as players begin reaching end game and maxing out their armor. Once players cap armor and can easily run dungeons are they really going to allow Occultist with lower dmg and unnecessary heals (because the healer in team is capped out) into a dungeon run?
      VIP benefits should be: "Everything in the cash shop can be farmed/obtainable in game." Implement a VIP token that drops in game for VIP players to cash in at a NPC. This NPC will sell the cash shop items to the VIP for those coins. :thumbup:
    • .x. wrote:

I was lurking the Internet and came across this youtube video. Now the video is of no concern, what is of concern is what 2009boniu says in a comment reply:

2009boniu from Youtube wrote:

"this class is like an afterthought, and was the last class to be released. it's a combo of healer and dark mage. I see a lot of players on the Chinese official forum complain about it being mediocre in everything, parties almost always take spiritshapers over them, however, they can be great at group pvp, because of their aoe heals. might have to invest some $ into the gear to build up def."

I am worried that this class will become like most hybrid classes and become worthless as players begin reaching end game and maxing out their armor. Once players cap armor and can easily run dungeons are they really going to allow Occultist with lower dmg and unnecessary heals (because the healer in team is capped out) into a dungeon run?
      Oh no!! This doesn't sound good at all.. I was so hyped about playing an Occultist but after reading yout comments I am not sure if I should really stick to it.. Oh man but the design and the skills and everything - so awesome! -, I just hope that they release some patches for us :(
    • @.x. Now on paper hybrid class of dps/healer sounds very promising, but can easily cause problems like you said at some point. I can personally see this a problem in end game PvE. Occultist lacks with dps and heals when compared to others and that might lead to let out of groups. If you could specialize to one role, this wont be a problem. Allthough some specific raids might cater occultists, because there might be bosses which needs 2 to 3 healers for example and maybe then occultist is good choise to get 2 and half healers and extra half dps. But ofc this can be very situational.

In PvP battles this hybrid thingy wont be a problem at all and it will be very handy to switch from dps to healer if the current situation needs so. So in PvP you have really good changes to shine with perfect timing of changing roles.

So this being mediocre in dps and heals concerns me a little bit, because i also want to be part of raids and not just do PvP part of the game. But there is specific party buff which you can get only from occultist.. right? And i hope that its not all about of dps or healing and buffs/debuffs would matter in end game battles. So i am still going for occultist as main character. ;)
      I will give you chills
    • Yoruki wrote:

Occultist healing is actually pretty good but a bit more difficult to use than spiritshaper. If you focus your stats on healing I'd say you could heal a 5man team. The main reason why it's called an off healer is because the class is meant for your to do some dps and heal and not focusing only on one side. Usually a party will want to have an off tank and off healer for safe runs. That means if the tank or healer are having trouble they have backup and if one of them dies the other can hold the role. This allows for a great dynamic to be able to have 3 DPS while everything is under control but bring it down to one and let the other 2 off tank and off heal so that the party can survive. If you go in easy dungeons then more solid dps will be preferred so the run can go faster but in more difficult ones you want classes able to do more than a single role.
      Wont you rather have a full dps, instead of a occulist for fast runs? Same goes for off tank. 1 good tank 1 good heal, rest awesome dps, is win right? Know encounters etc.

Im leaning towards occultist, but in my experience, in the end ppl will go with the best setup and from reading it looks like spiritshaper is what you want for healing?

Is there a occultist vs spiritshaper comparison? Do both got buffs? How strong are the heals compared etc?

DO NOT PRAY! If you pray, your hands will close together. You will not be able to fight!
    • Dragnelus wrote:

Yoruki wrote:

Occultist healing is actually pretty good but a bit more difficult to use than spiritshaper. If you focus your stats on healing I'd say you could heal a 5man team. The main reason why it's called an off healer is because the class is meant for your to do some dps and heal and not focusing only on one side. Usually a party will want to have an off tank and off healer for safe runs. That means if the tank or healer are having trouble they have backup and if one of them dies the other can hold the role. This allows for a great dynamic to be able to have 3 DPS while everything is under control but bring it down to one and let the other 2 off tank and off heal so that the party can survive. If you go in easy dungeons then more solid dps will be preferred so the run can go faster but in more difficult ones you want classes able to do more than a single role.
      Wont you rather have a full dps, instead of a occulist for fast runs? Same goes for off tank. 1 good tank 1 good heal, rest awesome dps, is win right? Know encounters etc.
      Im leaning towards occultist, but in my experience, in the end ppl will go with the best setup and from reading it looks like spiritshaper is what you want for healing?

Is there a occultist vs spiritshaper comparison? Do both got buffs? How strong are the heals compared etc?
      Occultist heals cannot win Spiritshapers, but they can heal the whole group. So you can bring both OC and SS in a party. Other than that, they can put buffs in place as well as deal DoTs on enemies when they need not heal. SS are good tank healers.
    • All what I read here sounds not so nice to me....
      But I still want to play Occultist because of his Style. This is what is most important for me.
      And I hope too they can buff a little bit his damage or buffs so he is more value!
      Oh and another points which is important to me, is if he ist good in single PvP or not. I hope he is good...
    • In most likelyhood I will be and Occultist
      Being able to displace enemies and allies and having bunch if effects to you abillities like absorbing dmg or healing from the target seems extremely fun for me
      Seems like the class where you really need to pay attention with when to use what and make the MLG plays
      If Violence isn't solving your problems than you are not using enough of it
    • Weelah wrote:

In most likelyhood I will be and Occultist
      Being able to displace enemies and allies and having bunch if effects to you abillities like absorbing dmg or healing from the target seems extremely fun for me
      Seems like the class where you really need to pay attention with when to use what and make the MLG plays
      Yeah in Group-PVP it sounds rly nice^^ But how I said I hope in 1vs1 Arena it's not low tier. Hope minimum in the middle or higher.
    • DragonAlex wrote:

Weelah wrote:

In most likelyhood I will be and Occultist
      Yeah in Group-PVP it sounds rly nice^^ But how I said I hope in 1vs1 Arena it's not low tier. Hope minimum in the middle or higher.
      There is no 1v1 arena. Smallest is 3v3.
      Just 'Kosi' if you can't pronounce my name <3

Facebook // Twitch
    • Just a word of warning, do not end up like the chinese and mistake this class for a support class. One of the least enjoyable parts of this class was everyone saying occultist had no dps. This led to a lot of occultists playing selfishly instead in high end instances in order not to get kicked out.
      Occultist has equivalent dps to any other dps class except gunslinger but it differs in mobility and burst. The beauty of Revelation is that every class can dps effectively depending on the situation (pvp/pve).

The beauty of occultist is that it can do everything except tank but it cannot do it all at once and it's this sense of choice that defines an occultist. Their main healing skills share the same cd as their main dps skills so you have to choose one. Their ultimates share the same resource so once again it's all about choices.

To elaborate on the first point, occultists had an ultimate skill that raised the team's offense significantly depending on how you upgraded it but then most occultists won't use this skill since at that time only the dps meter mattered (with respect to occultist's situation) and by buffing the team, you ended up gimping your own dps significantly from an absolute standpoint and a relative standpoint.

EDIT: occultist is also the longest ranged class in the context of guild wars. Nothing outranges an occultist in his demon form and depending on the spec of his ball, it has a really long range too. If an occultist specs into the long range gate skill, occultists can drop a gate where enemies who pass through it take significant dot damage before they can hit him.
      Drop the Gun! I got a book and I am not afraid to use it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by catnipaddict ().

• Another thing, occultists do not need to specifically raise their spirit stat . The return on that is just horrible because you still won't beat a spiritshaper and even without raising your healing stat, your support ultimates heal just fine. Netease actually nerfed occultist's angel ultimate at one point because it was just that good. In PVE, you will in some odd situations, just end up helping the spiritshapers keep up the team's hp but that is all. For low end instances like the 5 man and 10 man instances, you can heal well enough without spirit. Teams who bring occultists as main healers have to be of a certain level and so you won't need a pure healing stat build.

All those crazy rumors of occultist being bad healers or bad dps is just due to skill/gear. Oh and also to keep the nerf hammer away from occultist.

Just remember, if you see an opposing occultist, murder him first or you will regret it. It has a great toolset in the form of swaps, damage buffs, damaged received debuffs, immunity buffs for allies, crazy aoe heals, strong burst but high cd combos, strong ccs, the best shield ultimate buff in the game and arguably one of the highest damage normal skill in the form of its floating ball (hard to pull off though).

The post was edited 1 time, last by catnipaddict ().

• It's very rewarding. One of the best class to play ever. Best class to troll people too lol. Surrounded by enemies and about to die? Swap with an ally and you are safe!An ally is about to die? Drop your shield ultimate on him and watch him heal to full. Near a cliff? Jump off it and swap with an enemy. Got insulted by an ally? Jump off that same cliff and swap him instead! Beware the wrath of an occultist
    • DragonAlex wrote:

So it depends on if you play with assholes or not it seems. Such people I wouldn't buff too!
      I hope best for this class. But I love it most because of it's style ;)
      Even more of a reason to use the current social systems like mentor/couple/housing to make close friends that you can run things with. No matter how much we keep telling ppl an occultist can do the job just as well as another DPS or another healer, people won't believe it unless they want to. Just find nice people that know that YOU are good no matter what class you pick. :3
    • catnipaddict wrote:

It's very rewarding. One of the best class to play ever. Best class to troll people too lol. Surrounded by enemies and about to die? Swap with an ally and you are safe!An ally is about to die? Drop your shield ultimate on him and watch him heal to full. Near a cliff? Jump off it and swap with an enemy. Got insulted by an ally? Jump off that same cliff and swap him instead! Beware the wrath of an occultist
      Sounds like fun xD