f
s

[Guide] Occultist

• [Guide] Occultist

This guide was written by Mirilya for Codex and shared to the community so everyone can benefit from it. Thank you to Norazan, Seka, Izaz and Mugiwara for advices and corrections. If you want to re-post or translate this guide, please give the credits to Codex.

Introduction

Hey, I am Mirilya from Codex. I’ve been playing Occultist for more than 6 months now, starting from China where I am currently lvl 75.
      I ended up lvl 69 during Europe CBT3 as well as Top 2 Occultist:

Most of the informations in this guide are based on my personal experience. If you don’t agree or want to bring up a point I missed, feel free to discuss it with me!

Occultist is a DPS class in Revelation, capable of doing high amount of damage while bringing a unique set of buffs and debuffs to help out the whole party dps. Occultist also has access to various skills allowing for support healing.

Stats distribution

Occultist main stat is Dexterity (Agility in the graph). The more you have Dexterity, the higher your damage, healing and more importantly crit rate are. 1 Zeal (Spirit Power) = 1% magic damage
      Physique can help increase physical defense while Spirit is increasing magical defense, you can get a few points into those stats if you don’t feel confident enough about your survivability.
      Although Intelligence boosts your magic attack, I don’t recommend putting much points into it since it’s the only stats from which you don’t get bonus every 10 points, and it doesn’t give crit rate while dexterity does. You can put a few points there only when you have some remaining potential points that you can’t put in dexterity.
      As combat attributes that you can get on gears, I would recommend to go for Crit and Crit Increment as much as possible since it will greatly boost your damage.
      Occultist | Level 69 | Moonsea
      Member of Codex | Official Guild Page
      Got a question about Revelation? Leave me a message!

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

Always improving ourselves both as a guild and as individuals to stay at the top. This always leads us to dominating any content we focus on, be it GvG, PvX, PvP or PvE even though we are fewer than the competition.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mirilya ().

• Skills

Active Skills (1/2)

Example of a skill tree distribution made for PvE only.
      Note: “Morph” means putting talent points into a skill tree to get additional bonuses.

Hellfire Claw:

DARK/LIGHT: basic attack used as a filler to build up special skill points.

You can spam it in between your others spells to gain extra dps.
      You can level up this skill ONLY if you have some remaining points left after leveling all importants skills, although it still represents an important part of our dps, around 7 to 8% in PvE

Creeping pain:

DARK: low CD spell with very high utility. MUST be used as much as possible in between 2 spells to put a mark “Soul Destruction” on the enemy which will cause it to take additional damage each time he’s attacked, even by party members.

LIGHT: Similar to dark stance, will put a mark on the ally that will explode and put a debuff “Soul Light” on surrounding enemy monsters. Attacking them will give healing, it works similarly to lifesteal.

This skill must be leveled and morphed to gain extra dps boost as well as additional time on the mark with the lvl 59 morph you can have the target under the Soul Destruction debuff almost all the time.

Demon’s Rancor:

DARK: One of the occultist main skill. It does great damage and should be used off cooldown.
      With the lvl 59 morph, you can gain up to 5 stacks increasing magic attack by 3% each stack, which lasts for up to 10 seconds, so you have to use this spell at least every 10 seconds to refresh those 5 stacks.

The only downside of this spell is that it makes you unable to move during the cast animation. One of the 59 morph can allow you to move but it costs 3 points for no damage gain, not necessary for PvE but still makes your life easier for some bosses.

LIGHT: Similarly to Dark stance, it’s the main single-target healing ability for occultist. The 5th hit gives a shield that can be useful to mitigate incoming damage. You can’t cast it on yourself though.

Grasping Spirits:

DARK: Put an AoE DoT (Damage over Time) that does heavy amount of damage if the target stands on it. This skill is one of the main sources of damage and should not be neglected.
      The lvl 69 morph allows you to have 100% uptime on the AoE.

LIGHT: Similarly to dark stance, AoE healing over time for allies standing on it.

Occultist's Will

DARK: Third main skill dealing high amount of damage.
      This skill is a little bit special as it needs to be activated twice in order to get the most damage out of it.
      The first time you use it, a dark orb will be thrown in a straight line, damaging every enemy in its path. The second activation allows you to trigger the orb to explode, dealing a massive amount of damage.
      In order to do as much dps as possible, you want to trigger the explosion as late as possible to allow the orb to tick multiple times while going through the target.

LIGHT: The travelling orb will give a HoT (Heal over Time) for 10 seconds on every ally it goes through, and the explosion allows it to heal for a good amount.

Occultist’s Gift:

DARK/LIGHT: allows to put a totem of the floor which buffs/debuffs to allies/enemies around it. Unfortunately, the amount of stats it gives is really low, so it’s not worth leveling the skill.
      Nevertheless, the totem must be placed each fight for the party to benefit from the buff.
      It can also be used in combination with 2 other spells “Shattered Abyss” and “Spirit’s Return”.

Adapt:

DARK/LIGHT: Skill that allows you to change between Dark and Light stance.
      Furthermore, it converts dexterity into magic damage or healing, which is why it is worth leveling the spell.
      The lvl 59 morph of this spell is the most important one you can have as an occultist, since it gives 15% additional crit damage on top of your current amount.
      At lvl 69 you also gain access to a morph making all your skills deal 15% more magic damage to monsters, giving a really good dps boost for PvE.

Shattered Abyss: situational skill

DARK: allows you to explode the totem to dispel any enemy standing 5 meters around it.
      It’s a really powerful spell in some situations, allowing you to dispel healing effect from bosses.
      Damage isn’t that great for PvE though and it makes the totem disappear, which is why I don’t recommend leveling it.

LIGHT: explodes the totem to purge every negative effect from allies.
      Could be useful to dispel poison or negative effects affecting the tank in certain situations.

Gate of Atrophy: very situational skill

DARK: The 5m range won’t allow you to use it that often against bosses since you will stand at range, and its damage can’t crit.
      I don’t recommend using this skill in PvE except against some adds when you have the range for it just to get some extra special skill points (fury).

LIGHT: Even in PvE the gate will be used more often in Light Stance due to its properties to give immunity to all control effects and to increase movement speed of allies going through it, which can be useful to accelerate quick rotation across the field.
      Still very situational.

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

Always improving ourselves both as a guild and as individuals to stay at the top. This always leads us to dominating any content we focus on, be it GvG, PvX, PvP or PvE even though we are fewer than the competition.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Mirilya ().

• Active Skills (2/2)

Spirit’s Return:

DARK/LIGHT: Works as a CC break and allows you to teleport to the totem.
      It’s a good skill to get out of many tricky situations.
      This skill is worth leveling to reduce its cooldown by 1 second for each level into it.

Demon Shackle: situational skill

DARK: Can be easily cast in between 2 spells for some extra dps.
      If the target isn’t a boss and can be CCed, it’ll be rooted and gains a shield that will explode later on and deal damage. It's nice to level it up to gain extra damage as well as making sure that adds will be rooted by it.

LIGHT: Put the targeted ally in a box to shield him, but preventing them from moving and casting any spell.
      This spell shouldn’t be use in any situation in PvE since it’ll prevent movement.

Void Cycle:

DARK: Last but not the least occultist skill. It can be used to position adds during a fight, and more importantly it becomes very powerful with the lvl 59 morph. This morph puts a mark lasting for 3 seconds on the enemy that will increase all magic damage taken by 30%, and it even works on bosses that don’t get swapped. It can also be used as a CC break.

LIGHT: Allows you to CC break both you and the selected ally besides switching place with them. Situational spell to save an ally.

Passive Skills

Timeless: First Passive obtained with 10 talent points. Pretty self-explanatory.

Teeming Pall: Second passive unlocked after getting 30 talent points. Very good dps increase for the whole party. Critical power means critical rate. This passive is increasing your crit value by 12%, but not directly your critical rate.
      Note: Currently this passive in China is giving a FLAT 6.3% Crit Rate which is a buff.

Body Strengthening (Chinese translation): Third passive unlocked after getting 60 talent points. Self-explanatory.

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mirilya ().

• Special Skills

Special skills are your F1-F6 skills. You can only have 3 out of 4 for each left or right side. Left side ones are damaging ones, you can only use in Dark Stance. Right side ones are healing ones, you can only use in light stance. Special skills points are obtained by doing damage or healing, and the bar is transferred from left to right side when you switch from dark to light stance. Same goes for switching back to dark stance.

Demon’s Touch: Good DPS, useful to gain a bit more dps when you have enough special points (fury) to spend on it. I recommend taking red and yellow orbs to get increased damage and lower cost.

Siphoning Spirits: Really good for both PVE and PVP as long as you have Daos to increase damage. Can be used as a really powerful single-target burst.

Archon of Darkness: Occultist main source of damage and best companion! It allows you to summon a demon that you can either control or release as a pet, lasting for 30 seconds. Make sure to release it as soon as you cast It so you can still dps freely while the demon will become a pet assisting you with all his power. This special skill is the one you should prioritize and make sure to have 100% uptime on. I recommend focusing on getting mainly yellow orbs to increase reduce cost. Taking red or blue to reduce cooldown isn’t useful since you can only have one demon at a time. Beware, Green daos that are increasing damage is only when you control the demon and not when you release
      Note: Demon’s skill is an AoE that is casted in a straight line, and has a 50m range. The demon will always target the last enemy you attack.

Dance of Death (Death Transit): This special skill does very little damage and has a channel time of 30 seconds which makes it useless in both PvE and PvP. The only way of making this spell useful is by maxing green orbs to reduce the channel time to 5 seconds only, to deal acceptable amount of damage during this time.

Bond of Light (Aurora Touch): Doesn’t cost much fury, useful to get some good healing especially in battleground, but shouldn’t be used in PvE since the 3 others light specials bring more utility.

Arcane Collusion: Main special skill as a dps Occultist besides Demon. If you have some remaining fury points after using demon, you can use it to give a boost to your party. It’s also really helpful during burst phase. Any orbs are good to take for this skill, especially green one to increase duration.

Cunning Transference(Nirvana): This special can be really powerful when used in specific situations, to either reset aggro or reduce any incoming damage. Be careful not to use it on the tank since he’ll lose aggro. Green orbs can make the skill last up to 6 seconds. Although the skill has a 30 seconds cooldown, you can’t use it on the same target for 2 minutes!

Archon of Light: Similarly to Demon, this special can be used to transform or summon an angel being able to AoE heal the party and restore mana. It’s really situational in PvE since you rely on spirit shaper to heal. Getting yellow orbs to reduce the cost could help you having both Demon and Angel up at the same time on the battlefield!
      Note: When you transform into Demon or Angel without releasing it, you are immune to every crowd control, which is useful mainly in PvP.

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

• Breakdown on the most important PvE morphs

Here are some examples of talent builds you can use for PvE:

PvE 49 DPS (10 points)

PvE 59 DPS core (23 points)

PvE 59 DPS (30 points)

PvE Skill Prioritization

Here are several DPS Charts of different fights to give you an example of what my dps breakdown looks like. Demon is definitely the most valuable spell, followed by 3 main skills: Demon’s Rancor, Grasping Spirit and Necrotic Orb, with variable percentage according to boss movement and ease to hit skillshots.

Could I be a healer as an Occultist?

In PvE sadly Occultist can’t stand at Spirit Shaper level. Occultist lacks huge burst healing spells and effective AoE purge which are required for most of the PvE content.
      However, if you are dreaming of playing a healer Occultist, you can focus on PvP where a hybrid or full heal occultist can shine, both in Arena and Battleground. Indeed Occultist has strong AoE healings benefiting the whole raid as well as Angel which gives control immunity to become an unstoppable AoE healing machine.

Is Occultist as viable as other DPS classes in terms of damage output?

From my experience speaking only for bracket lower than lvl 69, Occultist deals as much damage if not more than DPS classes, which makes the class a valuable asset to have in the party.

GB 3* First Boss – lvl 64

GB 3* Last Boss – lvl 69

Deserted Shrine 3* First Boss – lvl 69

PvP Advices

In large-scale PvP, Occultist can prove useful due to having a good skillset to burst one target down.
      Void cycle can also be morphed to increase its range by 10 meters, allowing you to easily swap anybody from the enemy backline into yours, provided that you can teleport back to safety with your own totem or nirvana.
      Another asset of the occultist is being able to provide control immunity with Light Gate of Atrophy, that you can also morph to gain range. It can be used as a tool to engage the enemy, to cancel a Vanguard pull or even to assist your own Vanguard.
      Note: Special Skills abilities are working on the whole raid when it comes to Battleground and Guild versus Guild, rendering the use of Angel or Arcane Collusion very powerful, but it doesn’t work during open world fights.

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

• Reserved for future updates.

19/02/2017 ~ v.1 published
      02/05/2017 ~ corrected some slight misinformations

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

The post was edited 4 times, last by Mirilya ().

• Thank you so much for this guide!

As a noob occultist I have a few questions however;
      • So leveling-up the totem is completely useless? Is the buff that bad?
      • Shattered Abyss is no good at all for dps?
      • On the picture is says "turn soul". Turn soul = Stance swap/Adapt?
      • What is this "Shura's touch" I see on your dps charts? Is that the demon's straight line aoe?
      • No idea what "Demon's touch" is either.
      Sorry if some of these sound stupid, and thanks again for the guide. :love:
    • Lysia wrote:

Thank you so much for this guide!

As a noob occultist I have a few questions however;
      • So leveling-up the totem is completely useless? Is the buff that bad?
      • Shattered Abyss is no good at all for dps?
      • On the picture is says "turn soul". Turn soul = Stance swap/Adapt?
      • What is this "Shura's touch" I see on your dps charts? Is that the demon's straight line aoe?
      • No idea what "Demon's touch" is either.
      Sorry if some of these sound stupid, and thanks again for the guide. :love:
      1- It loses value as you gain gear/levels because it only gives a flat value that isn't very significant, IMO You could take some points off from soul return and put them into totem, but the change is very minimal.
      2- No, The damage increase per point spent is not much especially with the 15 sec CD on the skill.
      3- Turn soul is the english translation on the chinese servers, Adapt is the english name.
      4- Shura's rage is the demon's autoattack.
      5- Demon's touch is your default F1 skill.
      Codex

Codex (58 Members)

• In the dps composition images, is creeping pain's bonus damage added to skill that hits the boss? and is the first column of numbers the amount used in the fight?
      Myrmidons

Myrmidons (26 Members)

Snowpine|NA|Oceanic|Casual/Semi-Hardcore|Discord|Myrmidons|PvX|18+|World Wide| Now recruiting| Myrmidons were fearless warriors that fought under the command of Achilles~ Come see what we are about!

• I can't thank you enough for clearing that Creeping Pain and Demon Shackle's usage and effect that I've been asking for couple of weeks now.

I. love. you.
      Keep it up Mirilya.
      No Mercy Gaming

No Mercy Gaming (230 Members)

International Guild. We're currently reaching our hands to international players outside our region who seek a structured and organized guild. If you have the same drive and passion as us for gaming then this is the guild for you.

• DukeC2 wrote:

In the dps composition images, is creeping pain's bonus damage added to skill that hits the boss? and is the first column of numbers the amount used in the fight?
      I'm pretty sure than creeping pain's bonus damage is indeed added directly to the skill that benefit from those extra damages.
      The first column of numbers is corresponding to the amount of hits, for example for Demon's Rancor, for each one you cast, you will land 5 beads + 1 lifesteal effect for a total of 6 hits.

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

• Very nice guide, will be helpful for sure. I have got one question since I have not played the game yet thus I wasn't able to try it myself but what is the preferable mode (tab target or action combat) for occultist ? I would like to play only in action mode since I'm used to have skills on my LMB and RMB and to turn camera without having to click but I'm not sure if there are some skills that might be troublesome to use in PvP/PvE in action combat mode ? I have seen a lot of occultists video and people often use tab targeting system instead of action combat so I was wondering if there is some particular reason to do so for occultists ?
    • Haseo wrote:

Very nice guide, will be helpful for sure. I have got one question since I have not played the game yet thus I wasn't able to try it myself but what is the preferable mode (tab target or action combat) for occultist ? I would like to play only in action mode since I'm used to have skills on my LMB and RMB and to turn camera without having to click but I'm not sure if there are some skills that might be troublesome to use in PvP/PvE in action combat mode ? I have seen a lot of occultists video and people often use tab targeting system instead of action combat so I was wondering if there is some particular reason to do so for occultists ?
      Hey!
      To be honest Occultist could be played on both playstyle without much difference in terms of efficiency I guess. I know a lot of occultists playing in tab target mode as well, but I've been playing Occultist in action mode for 6 months now and I've never regretted it so far!

Codex

Codex (58 Members)

• Mirilya wrote:

Haseo wrote:

Very nice guide, will be helpful for sure. I have got one question since I have not played the game yet thus I wasn't able to try it myself but what is the preferable mode (tab target or action combat) for occultist ? I would like to play only in action mode since I'm used to have skills on my LMB and RMB and to turn camera without having to click but I'm not sure if there are some skills that might be troublesome to use in PvP/PvE in action combat mode ? I have seen a lot of occultists video and people often use tab targeting system instead of action combat so I was wondering if there is some particular reason to do so for occultists ?
      Hey!To be honest Occultist could be played on both playstyle without much difference in terms of efficiency I guess. I know a lot of occultists playing in tab target mode as well, but I've been playing Occultist in action mode for 6 months now and I've never regretted it so far!
      Thank you, exactly what I wanted to hear!