f
s

[Guide] Vanguard

• [Guide] Vanguard

This guide was written by Limourne for Codex and shared to the community so everyone can benefit from it. Thank you to Deioth for editing the guide. If you want to re-post or translate this guide, please give the credits to Codex. Please note that all of these names are unofficial and will change in EU/NA.

Introduction

Hi, I have played Revelation China for more than 2 months and have experiences in both Gunslinger (Level 66) and Vanguard (Level 65). The sources come mostly from Chinese guides and from my own experiences.

Vanguard Class Information
      Vanguard is your standard tank class and is the go-to class for raid leading and initiating fights in PvP. The Vanguard has some damage mitigation abilities with very good Area of Effect damage.

Stats
      Your main stats are Power/Strength, Spirit and Constitution. 100 power should be enough to level and generate aggro, the rest of your points can go into Spirit and Constitution.

Skills

Slam is your regular auto attack.

Swing is your highest damaging skill in your rotation. It’s an Area of Effect skill that applies bleed on your targets for 6 seconds (can be increased to 10 seconds) and can be stack up to 2 times (5 times with morph).

Breakthrough can be used differently either by choosing between doing more DPS or being more tanky. You can fully charge the skill to apply a debuff on your target that reduces their attack power by 10%, or you can instantly cast it without charging to be able to use your other abilities without delay. The knockback effect can be removed through morphing.

Rotary Cut is a 2 cast ability, the first cast knockdowns everyone in front of you in a cone and the second cast channels quick stabs in front of you which does low damage.

Dissection is your second highest damaging skill, which damages in front of you and leaves behind a long line of Area of Effect crack, which does Damage over Time.

Leap is your standard charge ability that can knockdown your targets.

Switch Stance is the ability to be able switch between tank stance, normal stance or dps stance (requires morphing). While in tank stance you will get more defensive stats, 50% threat generation and 50% movement speed reduction (this can be removed with a level 49 morph).

Dragon Grip can be used to grab your target to you or interrupt a casting ability, this is important for some boss mechanics.

Iron Blood is an Area of Effect buff that gives increased maximum health to yourself and your teammates. Even if you have 2 vanguards in your party it’s still worth using it on yourself for increased maximum HP and increased incoming healing.

Sky Roar is your CC break and CC immunity skill, which is very important to invest for in PvP. Increasing this skill reduces it’s cooldown which heavily affects how you will play in PvP. If this ability has to long cooldown you won’t be able to do anything in PvP, except for being a meat shield while eating all the CC.

Light Shield is your damage mitigation ability, which should only be used when you know you will be taking a lot of damage. While casting it you cannot do anything except for spamming Slam or, dodge and it can be recast earlier to explode.

Fearless has 3 different uses depending on your stance.
      Defence stance: Damage decreased by 50% and defence increased by 50%
      DPS stance: Damage increased by 50% and defence decreased by 50%
      Normal stance: Damage increased by 20% and defence increased by 20%

Unparalleled Skills
      Unparalleled skills are your F1-F6 skills. You can only have 3 out of 4 abilities active at the same time, for each side. Left side resource is generated through your damaging abilities and your right side resource is generated through damage taken.

This is what I have been using, and will keep using in the future.

(Left side)
      Lightning Break is a shield throwing ability that does a lot of damage and can do double damage when your target is below a certain HP threshold. The double damage effect can be specced to reduce the required threshold.

(Left side)
      Tornado is a 30 second channel bladestorm, which does minimal damage, which can be cancelled through dodging or jumping. This skill has some uses but in my opinion I think this skill is not really that good compared to the other unparalleled skills.

(Left side)
      Charge is a skill that charges forward and pushes your enemies to the sides or forward depending on where you hit them on your charge. You cannot control your charge so once you use it you can only move forward.

(Left side)
      Thousand Cracks is your highest damaging unparalleled skill that does massive Area of Effect damage and knockdowns enemies. The knockdowns, can be refreshed if your targets stay in the range of the ability. This skill requires a lot of left side resources and can take some time to charge up.

(Right side)
      Thunder Shake is an Area of Effect knockdown skill that does minimal damage and has a short radius, which makes this pretty bad, compared to the other unparalleled skills.

(Right side)
      Capture pulls all enemies surrounding you and stuns them. The range is a little bit bigger than it’s visual.

(Right side)
      Gang Member is an Area of Effect buff and debuff spell, which works really well with Thousand Crack.

(Right side)
      Absolute Guardian is your damage mitigation unparalleled skill that damages around you and reduces incoming damage by 50%.

Unparalleled Skill Tree

Every unparalleled skill can be upgraded through 4 different orbs. red orbs are for increased damage, orange decreased resource cost, blue cooldown reduction and green have a unique effect.

As for what you want to use is:
      ⦁ Lightning break: Red orb and green orb for reduced %HP threshold to activate the double damage effect.
      ⦁ Charge: Orange orb and red orb or green orb for increased knockdown duration.
      ⦁ Thousand Crack: Orange orb and Red orb
      ⦁ Capture: Blue orb and Green Orb for reducing enemies damage by x duration.
      ⦁ Gang Member: Red orb and Green orb for increased damage reduction on surrounding enemies
      ⦁ Absolute Guardian: Red orb and blue orb or Green orb for increased damage.
      Gunslinger Level 74
      Vanguard Level 68

Codex

Codex (59 Members)

Always improving ourselves both as a guild and as individuals to stay at the top. This always leads us to dominating any content we focus on, be it GvG, PvX, PvP or PvE even though we are fewer than the competition.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Limourne ().

• Kosiauke wrote:

nice to know which special skills to use :3 any tips on morphing skills at 49, 59 etc?
      Hey Kosiauke,

Limourne and I are still testing some skill morphs so the guide will be updated later on. As a general rule of thumb, the morphs will vary a lot between DPS and Tank builds, with the top half of each morphs often being for DPS mode and bottom half being for Tank mode. You can switch your morphs for free when out of combat.

Cheers,
      Deioth
      | Deioth ~ Swordmage Level 69 | Deios ~ Gunslinger Level 69 |
      | Founder of Codex | Official Guild Thread | Our guides and tools
      Got a question? Ask me!

Codex

Codex (59 Members)

Always improving ourselves both as a guild and as individuals to stay at the top. This always leads us to dominating any content we focus on, be it GvG, PvX, PvP or PvE even though we are fewer than the competition.

• Deioth wrote:

Kosiauke wrote:

nice to know which special skills to use :3 any tips on morphing skills at 49, 59 etc?
      Hey Kosiauke,
      Limourne and I are still testing some skill morphs so the guide will be updated later on. As a general rule of thumb, the morphs will vary a lot between DPS and Tank builds, with the top half of each morphs often being for DPS mode and bottom half being for Tank mode. You can switch your morphs for free when out of combat.

Cheers,
      Deioth
      Yep, that i know :) I've checked out all morphs in skill builder. I'm planning to play Vanguard as a tank and the 1st thing i'd take is morphing the shield stance to not reduce move speed :P No idea what i should prioritize after that tho :P
      Just 'Kosi' if you can't pronounce my name <3

Facebook // Twitch
    • Great guide, helps a lot! :thumbsup:

u_3559844 wrote:

i want to know, is possible to use it as a dps? because i dont want to create one and be an tank on every raid....
      What? I dont rly understand the logic in this sentence. You have to play as your roll because you wont reach the dps of other classes and nobody want to waste a group slot for guys like you. If you want to deal more damage like an usual tank then go for a more dps oriented build. But dont forget to blame the heal if you die :D
    • u_3559844 wrote:

i want to know, is possible to use it as a dps? because i dont want to create one and be an tank on every raid....

Maven wrote:

Vanguard is tank, you will not get into any parties as a "dps" vanguard. There are dps roles for that.

u_9583023 wrote:

I don't know about that, with a stance specifically catered towards dps it would be a bit foolish to say that a dps vanguard doesn't have a role.
      No need to dislike each other's posts, the question is valid as he hasn't played so he wouldn't know.

In my opinion, as you are asking for Raid content, you would be penalized if taking a DPS Vanguard. The reason being that most "hard" content in the raids are the bosses, which are mostly single target (few adds). The single target DPS of a Vanguard is lower than the "real" DPS classes. Furthermore, to do "reasonable" DPS in a Raid setting you would need to completely change the runes/crystals/skills builds that you are using, which requires expensive stat reset items and a lot of money invested into secondary runes/crystals. In short, it isn't viable.

At the same time, depending on the average gear and experience of the raid, it would still be possible to clear with a Vanguard in DPS spec (if you also have a main and secondary Tank in the raid). Just don't expect to be invited into a PUG Raid group when there are many other DPS classes asking to join.

Cheers,
      Deioth
      Got a question? Ask me!

Codex

Codex (59 Members)

• Deioth wrote:

u_3559844 wrote:

Maven wrote:

Vanguard is tank, you will not get into any parties as a "dps" vanguard. There are dps roles for that.

u_9583023 wrote:

I don't know about that, with a stance specifically catered towards dps it would be a bit foolish to say that a dps vanguard doesn't have a role.
      No need to dislike each other's posts, the question is valid as he hasn't played so he wouldn't know.
      In my opinion, as you are asking for Raid content, you would be penalized if taking a DPS Vanguard. The reason being that most "hard" content in the raids are the bosses, which are mostly single target (few adds). The single target DPS of a Vanguard is lower than the "real" DPS classes. Furthermore, to do "reasonable" DPS in a Raid setting you would need to completely change the runes/crystals/skills builds that you are using, which requires expensive stat reset items and a lot of money invested into secondary runes/crystals. In short, it isn't viable.

At the same time, depending on the average gear and experience of the raid, it would still be possible to clear with a Vanguard in DPS spec (if you also have a main and secondary Tank in the raid). Just don't expect to be invited into a PUG Raid group when there are many other DPS classes asking to join.

Cheers,
      Deioth
      There's stat reset items? There's skill builds? that's kind of a complete deal breaker to me. that's way too restrictive on player build freedom
      LITERALLY YOU
    • Deioth wrote:

u_3559844 wrote:

Maven wrote:

u_9583023 wrote:

Cheers,
      Deioth
      ty for the answer, i dont want to have multiple claracters, thats why i was asking. In that case i guess i will play another class :S Is shame because i wanted to use a spear class but oh well, i guess i will have to spin2win or be a gunner
    • Slams wrote:

Yes it is possible and asked.

Maven wrote:

Actually i just saw someone shouting for a blademaster or a dps tank for one of the event. I don't know English name but its the one where you go in as a party and kill off the random generated npc party the one where you can open 5 chests per day i think they were shouting for T6 T7

u_9583023 wrote:

they do.

Good job on the guide! One thing i want to mention is that tornado isn't as useless as you think. You will see they shine in certain situations.

Also, regarding skill resets and buying stats resets. No no No ! you dont wanna do that lol.
      When you play a tank. The best way is to pay 2 bucks a month for the skill slot page. Once you hit switch. It switch your stat distribution and skills allocation with one extra page. So thats how you do it. You don't need to reset skill with purchases every time.

Also, dps tanks are used in exp dungeon, in mob farming, in solo grinding, and also in off tanking. Lets say you took two tank into 10 man dungeon. First one is great wall 10 man SS mode. First encounter is 1 boss. So your 2nd tank swap to dps to maxmize dmg. 2nd encounter is 2 bosses, so you both tank your own. 3rd boss is 1 boss again, so one of your tank swap to dps. And swapping is just a simple click of one button and suddenly you are a powerhouse dps. sadly I'll be trying out a new class for NA release but gotta say Tank is fun and very rewarding in PvE and PvP. ( yes im in dps in PvP mode, i like to kill stuff instead lol)
      70+ Vanguard Introyoutu.be/dEHsdDf3ijc
      Practice Yard(help you learn about all classes) youtu.be/PQLDkmuI0pY
      Everything you need to know about Revelation Guild youtu.be/slXJ4LP1_00
    • L J wrote:

Slams wrote:

Yes it is possible and asked.

Maven wrote:

Actually i just saw someone shouting for a blademaster or a dps tank for one of the event. I don't know English name but its the one where you go in as a party and kill off the random generated npc party the one where you can open 5 chests per day i think they were shouting for T6 T7

u_9583023 wrote:

they do.

Good job on the guide! One thing i want to mention is that tornado isn't as useless as you think. You will see they shine in certain situations.

Also, regarding skill resets and buying stats resets. No no No ! you dont wanna do that lol.
      When you play a tank. The best way is to pay 2 bucks a month for the skill slot page. Once you hit switch. It switch your stat distribution and skills allocation with one extra page. So thats how you do it. You don't need to reset skill with purchases every time.

Also, dps tanks are used in exp dungeon, in mob farming, in solo grinding, and also in off tanking. Lets say you took two tank into 10 man dungeon. First one is great wall 10 man SS mode. First encounter is 1 boss. So your 2nd tank swap to dps to maxmize dmg. 2nd encounter is 2 bosses, so you both tank your own. 3rd boss is 1 boss again, so one of your tank swap to dps. And swapping is just a simple click of one button and suddenly you are a powerhouse dps. sadly I'll be trying out a new class for NA release but gotta say Tank is fun and very rewarding in PvE and PvP. ( yes im in dps in PvP mode, i like to kill stuff instead lol)

You're right. Lots of content requires off-tanks. They also benefit in a few fights where surviving becomes more important than dps.
    • L J wrote:

With the skill pages, which are not permanent, you need to donate or buy cash shop currency (the sword currency you should save for other items in my opinion) but I guess it would still be cheaper than buying the reset items? I didn't really look at the prices in China.
      About the Vanguard, I haven't seen any level 70 raids with a DPS Vanguard yet, for off-tank Blademaster would be better, at least that's the impression I got. Especially with Great Wall, you don't need 2 Vanguard tanks.
      Regarding XP dungeon and mob farming, that's less than half an hour a day. Solo grinding is, as you mentioned, solo so of course you can decide what you do there, if you want to go DPS no one will stop you by saying "another class would be better" :)

In PvP you do go DPS mode, but not for actual DPS per say. It is mainly because some skill morphs are better for PvP while in DPS stance.
      Edit: Of course, I am sure you have also experienced the awesome pull, aoe, "smash everything until it dies" combo with DPS stats/morphs :D

Cheers,
      Deioth
      Got a question? Ask me!

Codex

Codex (59 Members)